[Python-Dev] hgeol extension (Was: Mercurial migration: help needed)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 6 00:06:11 CEST 2009

>> - Martin Geisler also proposes that there is a section
>> [repository]
>> native = <conversionmode>
>> I personally feel YAGNI; it should only support LF (adding such
>> a feature later may be considered)
>
> Do you mean what native is in the repo or what it should be considered
> on the user's machine?

The former.

> If it's the former then I actually like it as
> it means a clone doesn't need to do anything special when 'native'
> matches what is expected in the repo while a commit still does its EOL
> validation.

But the same would be true if the repo format would be always LF:
when "native" matches (which would then be on Unix), the extension
would *still* have to do nothing but validation.

> I still think we need to have a server-side block which
> rejects commits that messes up the line-endings so people can fix
> them.

Certainly.

> Shouldn't mess up 'blame' as the messed up line-endings should
> only be from their edits.

It could be that they had a number of commits that eventually lead
to the version that they push; this will also push the intermediate
versions. So when you then do a blame, it will tell you that the
revision was logged as "fix whitespace", rather than "resolve issue
#9743".

You are mostly right that the committer name would be the same
(except when the committer was pushing some changes pulled from
the actual contributor), however, I still see these whitespace-only
changes as a complication.

Regards,
Martin