[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

Martin Geisler mg at lazybytes.net
Sat Sep 5 21:34:05 CEST 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

>>> I don't think this problem is really serious. If the push fails, you
>>> can just commit (locally) a new changeset that repairs the EOL or
>>> indentation problems, and push the whole bunch of changesets again
>>> (I assume the server-side hook will not examine changesets
>>> individually, but only the last of them?).
>>
>> Yes, the server-side hook will have to work like this in order for
>> people to fix mistakes like you just described.
>
> Not necessarily. People could also be required to go back and replay
> all changes.

Replaying changes, i.e., editing history is quite easy as long as you
have done no merges. So people can indeed fix their mistakes by cleaning
up history as long as they have a linear history. Both mq and histedit
are available for this:

  http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MqExtension
  http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/HisteditExtension

The problem comes if a small group have been working together on a new
feature and have merged changes in from the mainline while doing so.
They will then no longer be able to edit past the most recent merge.

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multiparty Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.