[Python-Dev] how to debug httplib slowness

Simon Cross hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:28:35 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Chris Withers<chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Am I right in reading this as most of the time is being spent in httplib's
> HTTPResponse._read_chunked and none of the methods it calls?
>
> If so, is there a better way that a bunch of print statements to find where
> in that method the time is being spent?

Well, since the source for _read_chunked includes the comment

        # XXX This accumulates chunks by repeated string concatenation,
        # which is not efficient as the number or size of chunks gets big.

you might gain some speed improvement with minimal effort by gathering
the read data chunks into a list and then returning "".join(chunks) at
the end.

Schiavo
Simon