[Python-Dev] Possible language summit topic: buildbots

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Fri Oct 30 17:56:15 CET 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 04:49:51PM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> 2009/10/30 C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu>:
> > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 04:21:06PM +0000, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Sorry for the little redundancy, I would like to underline Jean-Paul's
> >> suggestion here:
> >>
> >> Le Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:05:12 +0000, exarkun a ??crit??:

> >> I'm not a PSF member, but it seems to me that the PSF could ask Amazon
> >> (or any other virtual machine business anyway) to donate a small number
> >> of permanent EC2 instances in order to run buildslaves on.
> >
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > I'm happy to provide VMs or shell access for Windows (XP, Vista, 7); Linux
> > ia64; Linux x86; and Mac OS X. ?Others have made similar offers. ?The
> > architectures supported by the cloud services don't really add anything
> > (and generally don't have Mac OS X support, AFAIK).
>
> As Antione pointed out, it's not clear (at least, it isn't to me) what
> that leaves to be done.

Great!  We've solved the problem ;)

> As a counter-offer: Given remote access to however many Windows VMs
> you want to provide, I'll get them up and running with buildslaves on
> them. If that requires software such as Visual Studio, I have copies
> via the MSDN licenses that I am happy to provide.

I, too, have MSDN licenses, and I have functioning build environments
on all of the VMs (I think -- I've only tested Win XP currently:

http://lyorn.idyll.org/ctb/pb-dev/python/detail?result_key=8276

)

I also have an OS X 10.5 machine that I can let you into through a firewall;
it's building Python 2.7 quite nicely:

http://lyorn.idyll.org/ctb/pb-dev/python/detail?result_key=8229

> Once things are up and running, I'll be prepared to do basic care and
> feeding of the buildslave, but as my time is limited, it would be nice
> if others would pitch in to help.

I would be somewhat unhappy about giving more than three or four people
admin access, but am prepared to lie back and think of England.

--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu