[Python-Dev] Python Package Management Roadmap in Python Releases

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Oct 28 06:13:21 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:20:03 +0000 (UTC), Antoine Pitrou
<solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> (*) Remember, however, that Tarek and work on Distribute, and also on
> bringing pieces of setuptools/Distribute functionality into distutils.

But if that's the case then why not work on any third party tool..? like
pip or setuptools?

It seems are very longwinded process if the only way to work on
python is to work on distutils but before doing that you have to
first work on distribute and then wait for all the changes to work
their way back up the chain..

Actually, I have finally worked out what I want. That is shell support
in the python windows distribution so that you can right click an
.egg and install it.

I don't see how that can be achieved by following the workprocess
that you describe above.

David