[Python-Dev] Retrieve an arbitrary element from a setwithoutremoving it

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Tue Oct 27 20:49:01 CET 2009

[geremy condra]
> Was it ever decided whether this would fall under the moratorium?

Decided isn't the right word:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-October/093373.html

FWIW, I'm a strong -1 on both proposals.

Just add a short get_one() function and a get_equivalent() recipe
to your utils directory.  That will get the job done (thought I don't
expect that you will *ever* make much use of either one).
 No need to complexify a type that is currently very simple.

Raymond

P.S.  get_equivalent:  http://code.activestate.com/recipes/499299/
         get_one = lambda s, default=None:  next(iter(s), default)

The first works with all type that defines __contains__.
The second works for any iterable.
Neither of these concepts are specific to set objects.