[Python-Dev] Bug 7183 and Python 2.6.4

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 22 16:44:46 CEST 2009

I'd like to get a second opinion on bug 7183:

http://bugs.python.org/issue7183

The Boost folks have reported this as a regression in 2.6.3, making it
a candidate for Python 2.6.4.  IIUC, the latest version of Boost fixes
the problem in their code, but if it really is a regression it could
affect other projects and should probably be fixed.

Robert Collins from the Bazaar team pinged me on IRC and originally
thought that they'd been bitten by this problem too, though he looked
around and determined it probably did /not/ affect them after all.  So
we have only anecdotal evidence of a problem, and no reproducible test
case.

If the Python 2.6.4 release is to be held up for this issue, we need
to know today or tomorrow.  Come the weekend, I'm going ahead with the
tag and release.  Holding up the release will mean another release
candidate, and a wait of another week for the final.

So does anybody else think bug 7183 should be a release blocker for
2.6.4 final, or is even a legitimate but that we need to fix?

Thanks,
-Barry