[Python-Dev] PEP about sys.implementation and implementation specific user site directory

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Oct 10 03:07:40 CEST 2009

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> I think we should make a semi-private (public to the stdlib) module
> like _sys or _implementation part of the Python VM API. Then, instead
> of stuffing everything into sys, we can provide this information in
> modules where it belongs.

That's an interesting counter proposal. Your idea requires an additional
import that I try to avoid. Looking at memory and performance, an
additional module that is imported anyway isn't better. In my humble
opinion the implementation information belongs into the sys module
anyway. A new module just for the user site suffix seems unnecessary.

Christian