[Python-Dev] supporting multiple versions of one package in one environment is insane

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:20:01 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 05:29:28PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> ...as does buildout, and these are the right type of solution to
>>> this  problem.
>>>
>> where type of problem == sandboxed environment, sure.  How do you solve the
>> problem for system packagers?
>
> What's to stop a system packager either just running the buildout on
> install, or running the buildout at package build time and then just
> dropping the resulting environment wherever they want to install
> applications? Such a package would only be dependent on the right python
> version at runtime...

If buildout creates sandboxed environments like virtualenv then everything
here applies:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

You can also listen/watch the talk I gave at PyCon which is linked from that
page:
http://pycon.blip.tv/file/2072580/

If it doesn't create sandboxed environments, then you'll need to give me
about a paragraph explaining what it does do.

-Toshio