[Python-Dev] BDFL pronouncement?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 18:25:18 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> At Python and PyPI level, 'Setuptools' is PJE's project and he's the
> one that manages the list of users that have
> extended rights on his project.

Indeed, if only he would see sense :-(

> In Distribute, our setup.py script makes sure setuptools is not in the
> way. It is explicit and documented,
> and there's a documentation explaining how to switch back to Setuptools.

It's a hack though...

> This exists only because there's no way yet in Python to say that a
> distribution can't run when another distribution is installed.

I don't this should ever be needed, except in this edge case caused by
one man's stubbornness...

> Distribute developers will of course promote Distutils usage
> everywhere, but hijacking setuptools in PyPI
> would be a very bad thing imho.

*sigh* I don't see it as hijacking, provided Guido is making a BDFL
pronouncement that you're maintaining this software and PJE finally sees
  sense and accepts that.

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk