[Python-Dev] supporting multiple versions of one package in one environment is insane

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 17:51:00 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> = Virtualenv and the multiple version support in Distribute =
>
> (I am not saying "We" here because this part was not discussed yet
> with everyone)

Good, so maybe take this discussion to distutils-sig first?

> Virtualenv allows you to create an isolated environment to install
> some distribution without polluting the
> main site-packages, a bit like a user site-packages.

...as does buildout, and these are the right type of solution to this
problem.

> My opinion is that this tool exists only because Python doesn't
> support the installation of multiple versions for the same
> distributions.

No, it exists because per-project specification of requirements is a
really good thing. Having multiple versions of the same package in the
same python environment it totally batshit crazy...

> Setuptools provided a multiple version support but I don't like its
> implementation and the way its works.

See the "crazy" comment above...

> - a special import system using importlib that would automatically
> pick the latest version, thanks to PEP 376.

As long as I never have to use it or see it, I don't really care, but
this seems like creating more work for yourself and another gun pointed
at the face, nevermind the foot, of the unwary newbie...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk