[Python-Dev] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some words on Virtualenv, Pip)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Oct 8 18:30:00 CEST 2009

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 02:52:24PM +0200, Simon Cross wrote:
>
>>  On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> = Virtualenv and the multiple version support in Distribute =

>>> My opinion is that this tool exists only because Python doesn't
>>> support the installation of multiple versions for the same
>>> distributions.
>>>
> Let's actually look at these reasons:
>

>> This is not at all how I use virtualenv. For me virtualenv is a
>> sandbox so that I don't have to become root whenever I need to install
>> a Python package for testing purposes
>>

> This is needing to install multiple versions and use the newly installed
> version for testing.

Not really - it is wanting to install a single version of a library that
you don't want to install into your 'main' (whether that be user or
system) Python install. It is sandboxing and orthogonal to multiple
versions.

>> and to allow me to hop between
>> sets of installed Python packages while developing on multiple Python
>> projects.
>>

> This is the ability to install multiple versions and specify different
> versions for different projects you're working on.

No, it is working on multiple projects that have *different*
dependencies and being able to work in an environment that *only* has
direct dependencies installed - again sandboxed from your main Python
environment.

The fact that virtualenv allows you to have multiple different versions
of the same library installed in the different environments you create
is completely separate from the motivation that causes many people to
use it.

What virtualenv *doesn't* do (I believe) is allow you to have multiple
versions of libraries installed within a single environment and switch
between them (at least it doesn't offer anything beyond what setuptools
or pip provides).

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/