[Python-Dev] transitioning from % to {} formatting

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 16:54:53 CEST 2009

> I didn't get your message, could you resend?.

Resent, it may have been stopped by your spam filters since it came from my vinay-underscore-sajip-at-red-hyphen-dove-dot-com address. The subject was "Python str.format() and octal formatting compatibility".

> I was thinking the same thing, but it seems like a transition step. I'd rather
> not keep such backward compatibility hacks (if you will) around for the long
> haul.  How about a flag (maybe '*') at the start of the format specification
> which says "operate in backward compatibility mode"? We could document it as
> being only useful for the % to {} translator, and promise to remove it at some
> point in the future. Either actually deprecate it or just promise to deprecate
> it in the future.

I don't much mind matter exactly which mechanism we use to distinguish between 0o and 0 prefixes, as long as it's one most people are happy with :-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip