[Python-Dev] a new setuptools release?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 7 22:46:19 CEST 2009

P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 07:27 PM 10/7/2009 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Having more competition will also help, e.g. ActiveState's PyPM looks
>> promising (provided they choose to open-source it) and then there's
>> pip.
>
> Note that both PyPM and pip use setuptools as an important piece of
> their implementation (as does buildout), so they are technically the
> competition of easy_install, rather than setuptools per se.
>
> IOW, putting setuptools in the stdlib wouldn't be declaring a victor in
> the installation tools competition, it'd simply be providing
> infrastructure for (present and future) tools to build on.

I'm sure that some implementation of some of the concepts of
setuptools will end up in the stdlib - in a well-integrated and
distutils compatible form.

Perhaps we can even find a way to remove the need for .pth files
and long sys.path lists :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 07 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/