[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 7 09:45:13 CEST 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> Distutils for windows is very, very dead.. grave-ware in-fact.

Now that is not true at all. We have a native Windows installer
(bdist_wininst) and an MSI builder (bdist_msi) that both work
great on Windows.

Plus there are add-ons for other installers such as NSIS and
InnoSetup.

Please don't forget that setuptools is not distutils, it's just
a package extending distutils. If you find bugs related to Windows,
please file a bug report. If you have specific proposals for
distutils on Windows, you can use the mailing list or send
patches to the tracker.

The ham/egg ratio on the mailing list tends to be very much
on the egg side, so the tracker can help get more attention from
folks doing distutils without setuptools.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 07 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/