[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Oct 5 17:11:54 CEST 2009

Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:43:22AM +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>> it's revews like this that makes me wonder if releasing open source is
>> a good idea:
>>    no egg - worst seen ever, remove it from pypi or provide an egg
>> (jensens, 2009-10-05, 0 points)
>>

> Greetings effbot. :)
> As you might already know, "eggs" are not mandatory for pypi. No where
> in the documentation it mentions so. Also many good packages in pypi
> are not eggs (MaL's egenix packages for e.g) and we have known his
> dislike for that particular format too.

I don't dislike the format itself, just the tools that are
available for using it.

We've implemented our own bdist_egg now which doesn't use setuptools
and will start to ship eggs in addition to our prebuilt format with
the next releases.

As time permits, we'll also write an egg installer/uninstaller
(one that does only that ;-).

> But still, sometimes people have found eggs to be convenient.
>
> That was a particularly harsh comment from jensens, should be ignored
> or he should be corrected that eggs are not mandatory.
>
> But, i have a feeling that this is going to open up the well known,
> can-of-worms on what is the best distribution format for python
> packages debate.

Let's hope not :-) Besides, the discussions should be about the
tools used for package distribution - the egg format itself
is fine.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 05 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/