[Python-Dev] Package install failures in 2.6.3

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Oct 5 16:27:00 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> Now I am astonished that we are talking about reverting changes in
> Distutils that were done for bugfixes, for a third party package that
> does monkey
> patches on Distutils.
>
> If this choice wins here, it means that setuptools and the stdlib are
> tied together, and that the setuptools package should be integrated to
> the stdlib *immediatly*.

We've discussed ways of doing that some years ago and found that
it was not possible to make ends join.

I'd much rather like to see some of the features in setuptools
get implemented in distutils. eGenix could contribute a
bdist_egg implementation that doesn't rely on setuptools and its
monkey patches - along with some other new commands that people
might find useful such as the ability to build Unix libraries,
optional and self-configuring extensions, autoconf-style setups,
etc. (see mxSetup.py in egenix-mx-base for all the details).

We'd just need some help with integrating the things into
distutils, since we currently don't have the bandwidth for such
things.

Aside: After importing setuptools a lot of things in distutils no
longer work as advertised. This is due to the heavy monkey patching
being applied in setuptools. In some cases there's on other way
to adapt distutils to ones needs, but most of the times, a little
more thought put into the OO design of a tool makes it possible to
play nice with distutils without any monkey patching.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 05 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/