[Python-Dev] buildtime vs runtime in Distutils

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Nov 19 11:04:03 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So what I am proposing is to inject those values in a private dict in
> the new sysconfig.py module,
> that can be read through the get_config_vars / get_config_var APIs.
>
> This means that sysconfig.py will be added as "sysconfig.py.in"

This means you have to relaunch the whole configure thing each time you make a
change to sysconfig? This doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You could make
the private dict a dedicated module instead, e.g. "_sysconfig_data.py.in".

As for Windows, if people have the ability to choose the installation directory
when installing, I'm not sure how you're gonna handle it.