[Python-Dev] Add an optional timeout to lock operations

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:27:36 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Jesse Noller <jnoller <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Nick is right, many of the BSDs and FreeBSD up until fairly recently
>> did not have named shared semaphore support. Still yet, the behavior
>> is broken on some OSes such as OS X which you have to work around.
>
> The core locking support only uses anonymous semaphores (they don't need to be
> shared accross processes obviously).
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

That's what I get for replying from an iphone over morning coffee. See
also http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/ for Philip Semanchuk
semaphore/IPC work as well.

Given both multiprocessing and Philip's work are concerned about the
shared aspects, I think you're right - FBSD and others support the
posix semaphores for non-ipc stuff ok AFAIK (recent benchmark
http://www.ioremap.net/node/216).

jesse