[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Nov 14 05:00:47 CET 2009

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> But for the life of me, I can't understand the 1/3 of the votes that
> have been cast in favour of prohibiting comments for everybody, even
> those who want comments.

You gave reason (and I agree with you) for why, on a service that
allows comments and/or ratings, that users might think less of a
project that chooses to be on the service but then chooses not to have
comments and/or ratings.

Thus, there's a good reason on such a system to *not* participate in the
service at all. A barrier to entry, on something that should be *the*
place to look for third-party Python packages.

To encourage as many third-party packages to register on PyPI, it seems
barriers like that should be removed.

--
 \                “Please to bathe inside the tub.” —hotel room, Japan |
Ben Finney