[Python-Dev] standard libraries don't behave like standard 'libraries'

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Nov 14 03:23:14 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

 > Some of the Python maintainers have recently started objecting to this
 > setup, asking that the standard library should be split into separate
 > packages that are released and distributed independent of Python. Others
 > of us feel strongly that such a change should not be made.

I'd be worried, because I would no longer be able to
release an app or package and say "requires Python x.y".
I'd have to list the version numbers of all the micro
packages making up the standard library that I use.

Worse, I'd have to be aware of which ones I actually
*do* use so I could mantain that list, something I don't
have to think about at the moment.

It mightn't be so bad if the whole stdlib were a *single*
package, but I don't see much advantage in that.

--
Greg