[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Fri Nov 13 00:37:30 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> I'm just not willing to submit to one side; hence the poll.

Nobody's asking you to "submit" to anything! We're asking for the
control to decide ourselves.

Look, there's already a large faction of people who just want to write
off PyPI and launch our own package server instead. I'm nearly on
board, but we've had enough fragmentation in the packaging world
lately, and I don't want to make the project worse.

But you can bet your ass that if PyPI isn't made a good, neutral,
central resource I'm going to leave for one that is. Do you really
want a flood of package maintainers de-listing their packages just so
that things work the way you think they should?

I should clarify that I'm speaking personally and not in any official
"Django capacity." I don't have personal control over whether or not
Django would de-list from PyPI. Django's run by a community process,
and I'd listen to the voice of the community before doing anything
unilaterally. It's a good idea, this community process. We might want
to apply it to PyPI one of these days.

Jacob