[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 12 23:12:18 CET 2009

> At least it can be expected that in many cases project maintainers will
> *want* to use a conventional BTS, VCS, discussion forum, etc. So that
> route makes more sense than a mandatory comment system outside the
> project maintainer's control, while providing the user-participation
> that is the purported motivation.

I think you are missing the point of the commenting system: these
comments are *not* directed towards the package author. Instead, they
are directed towards fellow users of the package. For this kind of
message, a bugtracker is completely inappropriate, as is a mailing list,
or any other kind of support forum.

I agree that users asking for support should not use the PyPI commenting
system.

Regards,
Martin