[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Nov 12 22:53:47 CET 2009

On Nov 12, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> I think Jesse's point (or, if he's not willing to claim it, my
> point) is
> that, compared to the mandatory comment system, it makes much *more*
> sense to have a mandatory field for “URL to the BTS for this project”.

One might look at the "competition" for inspiration. Looking at CPAN.
There's no "comments" feature, but there is a "CPAN RT" bug-tracker
which appears to be a way for users to submit comments/problems about
packages in a way common to all packages in CPAN, but distinct from
upstream's bug trackers/lists/etc. I'd assume that gets emailed to the
listed maintainer of the package as well as being accessible to other
users, although I don't really have any idea.

e.g.
http://search.cpan.org/~capttofu/DBD-mysql/lib/DBD/mysql.pm

There might be something to be said for providing users a way to
provide feedback that doesn't require making a accounts in a bazillion
separate bugtrackers.

*shrug*

James