[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Masklinn masklinn at masklinn.net
Thu Nov 12 18:08:27 CET 2009

On 12 Nov 2009, at 17:31 , Jesse Noller wrote:

> But before we even did those; why not have mandatory links for entries
> to bug trackers, mailing lists, source repositories, etc? I'm saying
> saying this doesn't seem well thought out, and the current
> implementation is broken by design. Of course, as I said earlier;
> since I don't have time to patch it; I'll simply just not participate.
I think having links to those is a very good idea and more important
than a comment/notation system. They shouldn't be mandatory though, not
every library has a mailing list, or even a (public anyway) bug tracker.

Giving users and easy way to contact the author would be a must as well
("package index owner" and "package index maintainer" should link to
the users's profiles, and users should be able to setup contact
informations e.g. a mail address or a website). See how search.cpan
does it, the information is worth a lot to users. Currently, finding
how to send feedback to a package owner usually requires wading through
the description text itself, which in some cases (e.g. distribute)
amounts to pages of document.

On 12 Nov 2009, at 17:31 , Jesse Noller wrote:
> I don't want us to impersonate the mindless, sub-useful drivel found
> in App store/YouTube/etc comments 99% of the time or the broken "5
> star ratings" systems, etc. It's too easy to game.
I think I read a paper on that subject a short time ago (but can't
seem to find it right now), basically saying 5-star systems weren't
very useful, a simple +1/0/-1 was just as good (if not better) and
0/+1 worked as well.