[Python-Dev] Replacing IDLE

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 17:20:58 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>> Anatoly's question is actually a fair one for python-dev - we're the
>> ones that *ship* Idle, so it is legitimate to ask our reasons for
>> continuing to do so.
>
> OTOH, the second (or, rather, third) question (does anybody think it
> should be replaced) is indeed on-topic for python-dev.

That is the exact question I have in my mind. Sorry for not being able
to state it clearly. I'll be more straightforward next time.

> I didn't really answer that question before, so I do now: I have not
> personally plans to replace it, and I'm skeptical wrt. anybody else's
> plans unless there is specific code in existence that IDLE could be
> replaced *with*.

There are a lot of Python editors. It is unlikely that they implement
all IDLE features, but I believe that 20% of IDLE features that is
used by 80% of users are guaranteed by any editor out of the box.
Assuming that they are more extensible than IDLE anyway. (I would say
"perfection is achieved when there is nothing more to add...", but I
promised to be straightforward).

If we filter list of http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors by
language/license/framework, we will be able to see if there is any
suitable open source Python code to replace IDLE's.

Then there will be another issue - all editors are based upon some
frameworks - I didn't see any popular cross-platform GUI toolkits in
Python, so we will inevitably face the need to replace Tkinter with
other default GUI toolkit.

Should we place an editor first and combine the list a of unique
features of IDLE that we (as developers) will surely miss  OR  should
we think what GUI framework will be more beneficial for Python users
if shipped by default (keeping in mind that we might have to add
missing features to whatever editor we choose later)?

--
anatoly t.