[Python-Dev] IDLE as default Python editor (Was: [pygame] Python IDE for windoz)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 13:51:09 CET 2009

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Quite an interesting question recently popped up in pygame community
> that I'd like to ask to Python developers.
>
> How many of you use IDLE?

I use it if it's the only syntax highlighting Python editor on the box
(since machines in the lab usually aren't set up with full dev
environments). Otherwise I'm more likely to use a general syntax
highlighting text editor (e.g. Kate on KDE)

>>From my side I like the idea of having default Python editor that is
> small, fast, convenient and extensible/embeddable. IDLE is small and
> fast, but I feel really uncomfortable with its. The worst thing - I
> can't change it. Does anybody else feel the same to think if we could
> replace IDLE with something more maintainable by providing Scintilla
> bindings, for example?

I don't particularly *like* IDLE, but that's largely because I don't
like Tcl/Tk. However, as far as cross-platform widget sets that are
reasonable to bundle with Python go (both from a licensing and code size
perspective), choices are pretty limited (plus Tcl/Tk has the advantage
of incumbency).

So while I can't claim to like Idle in and of itself, I do like the fact
that the language comes with its own syntax highlighting editor.

Cheers,
Nick.