[Python-Dev] Reworking the GIL

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Nov 7 20:33:13 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Hello Guido,
>
>> How close are you to merging this into the Py3k branch? It looks like
>> a solid piece of work, that can only get better in the period between
>> now and the release of 3.2. But I don't want to rush you, and I only
>> have had a brief look at your code.
>
> The code is ready. Priority requests are already disabled, I'm just
> wondering whether to remove them from the code, or leave them there in
> case someone thinks they're useful. I suppose removing them is ok.

I would remove them -- if and when we find there's a need for
something like them I suspect it won't look like what you currently
have, so it's better not to complexificate your current patch with
them. (I would remove all traces, including the conditions passed into
the end macros.)

>> My only suggestion so far: the description could use more explicit
>> documentation on the various variables and macros and how they
>> combine.
>
> Is it before or after
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-checkins/2009-November/087482.html ?

After. While that is already really helpful, not all the code is
easily linked back to paragraphs in that comment block, and some
variables are not mentioned by name in the block.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)