[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 07:05:02 CET 2009

2009/11/3 ssteinerX at gmail.com <ssteinerx at gmail.com>:
> Not that anyone has asked yet, but here's my opinion on two issues that have
> been raised on the python-dev mailing list lately:
>
>        +1 on 2.7 release with as much 3.0 "easy-port goo" as is practicable
> without delaying the product beyond the tentative schedule.  Sooner would,
> of course, be better but I'm sure PEP 373 was produced after due
> consideration of all pertinent factors.

+1

>        +1 on 2.7 being the last of the 2.x series.  Enough already!

-1

The last of the series should be the last one needed, and we don't
know that until after it's been made. No official decision should be
taken on this.

> I, personally, haven't even written my first line of 3.x code, nor have I
> had any good reason to.
>
> If I saw the actual end of the line at 2.7, I would actually start looking
> for 3.x versions of my favorite tools and would be much more inclined to
> help push them along ASAP.

That's a terrible reason. It's a stick, and sticks suck. If Python 3
is not enough of a carrot, then people should not migrate at all.

> Right now, so much that I use on a daily basis doesn't even have a 3.x
> roadmap, much less any sort of working implementation, that I don't see
> switching to 3.x ever unless the 2.x line ends, and soon!

Wrong. Most things do not have a 3.x roadmap or a working
implementation, because most things depend on another thing, that also
doesn't have an implementation, and therefore can't be ported or
planned. The major hangup for this has been setuptools. As you know,
distribute came with a Python 3 release fairly recently, which means
that most projects out there could not be ported or even planned (as
setuptools had no Python 3 plans) until something like a month ago.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64