[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 3 18:27:37 CET 2009

> To answer your question, the main issues are:
>  - are two branches are necessary or not ? If two branches are
> necessary, I think we simply do not have the resources at the moment.

No, it should be well possible to have the same source being used in
both 2.x and 3.x. I've ported ZODB to Python 3 (which includes both
C and Python code), and it works quite well.

>  - how to maintain a compatible C API across 2.x and 3.x

Not sure what the "C API" is: if it is the actual implementation of
the C modules, then I recommend to use preprocessor macros a lot.
If you need specific solutions, you'll have to ask specific questions.

>  - is it practically possible to support and maintain numpy from 2.4
> to 3.x ?

Absolutely, yes.

> For example, I don't think the python 2.6 py3k warnings are
> very useful when you need to maintain compatibility with 2.4 and 2.5.

These I don't know. I found that I had little use for the 3k warnings
in porting to 3k; I usually rely on tests to find out whether the code
still works correctly.

> There is also little documentation on how to port a significant C
> codebase to py3k.

Please do ask specific questions.

Regards,
Martin