[Python-Dev] Reworking the GIL

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Mon Nov 2 16:07:06 CET 2009

Antoine Pitrou skrev:
> It certainly is.
> But once again, I'm no Windows developer and I don't have a native Windost host
> to test on; therefore someone else (you?) has to try.

I'd love to try, but I don't have VC++ to build Python, I use GCC on
Windows.

Anyway, the first thing to try then is to call

   timeBeginPeriod(1);

once on startup, and leave the rest of the code as it is. If 2-4 ms is
sufficient we can use timeBeginPeriod(2), etc. Microsoft is claiming
Windows performs better with high granularity, which is why it is 10 ms
by default.

Sturla