[Python-Dev] nonlocal keyword in 2.x?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 22:26:58 CET 2009

2009/10/29 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:

>>> That was precisely my point.
>>
>> Then I don't understand what you are saying. Obviously we shouldn't
>> backport to the 2.6 branch, it's in bugfix mode. This is about 2.7. I
>> don't see what 2.6 has to do with it.
>>
>>> There are development practices which mitigate the
>>> idea that backporting is always helpful to the user.
>>
>> And those are?
>
> You said it above yourself: "bugfix mode"

Again: Then I don't understand what you are saying. Obviously we
shouldn't backport to the 2.6 branch, it's in bugfix mode. This is
about 2.7. I don't see what 2.6 has to do with it.

> That's all Antoine's point was - backporting of new features to previous
> branches is not automatically a good idea.

Obviously we shouldn't backport to the 2.6 branch, it's in bugfix
mode. This is about 2.7. I don't see what 2.6 has to do with it.

> In the case of 3.2 -> 2.7 backports, there are issues with the initial
> development time investment to do the backport, future double-keying of
> additional maintenance issues, consideration of possible poor
> interaction with legacy features in the 2.x series. It's a bunch of
> additional work that isn't going to happen without someone volunteering
> to do it.

Yes?

I feel that you are saying things that are obvious, and that you then
expect me to draw a conclusion from this, that you probably find
obvious too, but I don't. So I still don't understand what you are
saying, or how this in any way contradicts what I said, or clarified
or expanded on the matter.

As I said: Python 2 support is not only about supporting old versions of Python,
but also supporting users of Python2-only modules. So 2.7 support will
for the most part be a case not of supporting Python versions, but
Python *users*. And contrary to what Antoine said, that *is* a good
reason to backport it.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64