[Python-Dev] LZW support in tarfile ?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun May 17 15:23:03 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But I was wondering if we should we add a LZW support in tarinfo,
>> besides gzip and bzip2 ?
>>
>> Although this compression standard doesn't seem very used these days,
>>

> It would be more useful to add LZMA / xz support.
> I don't think compress is used anymore, except perhaps on old legacy systems.
> On my Linux system, I have lots of .gz, .bz2 and .lzma files, but absolutely no
> .Z file.

I've seen the occasional .Z file in recent years, but never that I
recall for a Python package.

As plugging in external compression tools is less likely to work
cross-platform wouldn't it be both easier and better to deprecate (and
not replace) the compress support.

If there is a huge outcry adding LZW support to tarfile can be reconsidered.

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog