[Python-Dev] Shorter release schedule?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 13 06:12:27 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou writes:

 > Just food for thought here, but seeing how 3.1 is going to be a
 > real featureful schedule despite being released shortly after 3.0,
 > wouldn't it make sense to tighten future release planning a little?

With all due respect, it's easy and natural to have a short,
featureful release schedule immediately after a major release (or
should I say "complete rewrite"?)  The discussion should focus on what
happens as people become relatively satisfied with the core, and
development shifts to optimizations, (smallish) bug fixes, and
features that appeal to specialized audiences.  That is when both the
costs and the benefits of a tighter and/or time-based releases appear.

 > I was thinking something like doing a major release every 12 months
 > (rather than 18 to 24 months as has been heuristically the case
 > lately). This could also imply switching to some kind of loosely
 > time-based release system.

I don't wish to express an opinion on either of these, as I'm not even
in a position to help with release blockers.  But I do hope discussion
will focus on the implications for Python 3.7, not Python 3.3.