[Python-Dev] A wordcode-based Python

Cesare Di Mauro cesare.dimauro at a-tono.com
Tue May 12 18:41:45 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 05:27 PM, Collin Winter wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Cesare Di Mauro
> <cesare.dimauro at a-tono.com> wrote:
>> Another note. Fredrik Johansson let me note just few minutes ago that
>> I've
>> compiled my sources without PGO optimizations enabled.
>>
>> That's because I used Visual Studio Express Edition.
>>
>> So another gain in performances can be obtained. :)
>
> FWIW, Unladen Swallow experimented with gcc 4.4's FDO and got an
> additional 10-30% (depending on the benchmark). The training load is
> important, though: some training sets offered better performance than
> others. I'd be interested in how MSVC's PGO compares to gcc's FDO in
> terms of overall effectiveness. The results for gcc FDO with our
> 2009Q1 release are at the bottom of
> http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/Releases.
>
> Collin Winter

Unfortunately I can't test PGO, since I use the Express Editions of VS.
May be Martin or othe mainteners of the Windows versions can help here.

However it'll be difficult to find a good enough profile for the binaries
distributed for the official Python. FDO brings to quite different results
based on the profile selected.

cheers,
Cesare