[Python-Dev] Proposed: drop unnecessary "context" pointer from PyGetSetDef

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon May 4 21:04:55 CEST 2009

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc wrote:
> Larry Hastings wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that there a) 2.x extension modules are not binary
>> compatible with 3.x, and b) there are essentially no 3.x extension modules
>> in the field.  Is that accurate?  If we don't have an installed base (yet)
>> to worry about, now's the time to make this change.
>>
> cx_Oracle at least uses this closure field, and has already been ported to 3.x:
> http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=Connection_SetOCIAttr+trunk

And they're using it as a pointer, too!  Nice to see it not abused for once.

If it helps, I volunteer to port cx_Oracle to the new PyGetSetDef if my
patch is accepted.  The resulting code would be backwards-compatible
with Python 3.0, so it could be incorporated immediately.  Given the
lack of interest in the proposal so far, this is an easy vow to make!

/larry/