[Python-Dev] regrtest behavior change

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Mar 31 21:49:30 CEST 2009

At the sprint the developers decided that a long standing issue with
regrtest should be fixed: the fact that invalid imports in tests can
result in a test being skipped instead of producing an error.

I've just checked in a change to regrtest on the trunk.  It no longer
assumes that an ImportError means the test should be marked as skipped.
I have done my best to wrap all imports where errors _should_ cause
skips in the appropriate wrappers from test_support (import_module or
get_attribute).  Of course, since I can't run the tests on all possible
systems I may have missed some.  It's also possible that making this
change will unmask some errors that have been hidden by the previous
behavior, although I haven't found any instances of that so far.

Another issue is that there may be modules that don't exist on other VM
implementations where those modules would have been skipped on a test run
previous to this, and will now generate an ImportError.  We will happily
wrap imports for those modules when informed that such should be done.

I'll be watching the buildbots, but please let me know about any issues
that you find.  I'll be merging it to py3k as well, but there will be
no backport.

--
R. David Murray             http://www.bitdance.com