[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 15:41:20 CEST 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

>>> What about environments like Google App Engine ? I mean, AFAIK using
>>> ZIP files is the *official* solution to meet some quotas &
>>> requirements ... CMIIW anyway ...
>>
>> I mentioned yesterday (in the language summit) that we really need to get
>> all the requirements together before we start any work. I fear that there
>> are many hidden requirements (or ones that I'm personally not aware of, at

I remembered another similar use case (which is mentioned in PEP 302
-motivation AFAICR- ) ... what about importing Py modules/pkgs
packaged in .JAR files to be used in Jython ? ... Hmmmmm?

I dont think its a good idea so far to remove zip imports | installs
and similar ... at least I'll need further arguments and solutions to
concrete use cases to understand this decision a little bit better...
;)

>> least). I don't know gettext well enough give an answer yet.
>
> The class-based API for gettext takes streams, so resource_stream() would
> work just fine.  I think i18n plugins for Python do not necessarily need to
> use the classic gettext API.

In fact ... I use Babel (... especially Translations & Locale classes
;) quite often ... :P

Besides web frameworks and apps also need specific artifacts (e.g.
Genshi template filters for i18n ...) to fully accomplish these tasks
... ;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Comandos : Pipe Viewer ... ¿Qué está pasando por esta tubería?