[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Baptiste Carvello baptiste13z at free.fr
Mon Mar 30 10:58:52 CEST 2009

Tennessee Leeuwenburg a écrit :
> I would suggest there may be three use cases for Python installation
> tools. Bonus -- I'm not a web developer! :)
>
> Case One: Developer wishing to install additional functionality into the
> system Python interpreter forever
> Case Two: Developer wishing to install additional functionality into the
> system Python interpreter for a specific task
> Case Three: Person wanting to install an application which happens to be
> written in Python

a maybe more exotic Case Four: the enlightened open-source user, who wants to
install an application, but might like to look under the hood, either to tweek
it to his needs, or to investigate a bug.

In that case, each application comming with a private version of various system
libraries is unwelcomed complication, so that using the platform's package
manager is a much better solution.

Cheers,
B.