[Python-Dev] Evaluated cmake as an autoconf replacement

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:59:05 CEST 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 1:14 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> About cmake: I haven't looked at it recently, but I have a bit of hard
> time believing python requires more from a build system than KDE. The
> lack of autoheader is not accurate, if
> only because kde projects have it:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_HowToDoPlatformChecks

That page says, "... So we write a source file named config.h.in...".
The purpose of autoheader is to write that file automatically. I might
have missed something, but you'll have to provide a more precise link.

The problems I found were enough to convince me that it wasn't worth
continuing to a full translation of configure.in and Makefile.pre.in.
If you or someone else wants to do that translation, I'd be happy to
look at the result in case it turns out not to be as inconvenient as I
currently expect.

Jeffrey