[Python-Dev] Evaluated cmake as an autoconf replacement

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Mar 29 20:18:04 CEST 2009

David Cournapeau <cournape <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I would think the bootstrap problem to be much more significant. I
> don't find the argument "many desktop have already python" very
> convincing - what if you can't install it, for example ?

I agree. I had to build Python once on a corporate AIX box without any modern
facilities. If it had needed anything else than a standard C compiler, I
couldn't have done it.

> About cmake: I haven't looked at it recently, but I have a bit of hard
> time believing python requires more from a build system than KDE.

What are the compilation requirements for cmake itself? Does it only need a
standard C compiler and library, or are there other dependencies?