[Python-Dev] Evaluated cmake as an autoconf replacement

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Mar 29 19:59:35 CEST 2009

Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The other popular configure+make replacement is scons.

I can only give uninformed information (!) here, but in one company I worked
with, the main project decided to switch from scons to cmake due to some huge
performance problems in scons. This was in 2005-2006, though, and I don't know
whether things have changed.

If you want to investigate Python-based build systems, there is waf (*), which
apparently started out as a fork of scons (precisely due to the aforementioned
performance problems). Again, I have never tried it.

(*) http://code.google.com/p/waf/

Regards

Antoine.