[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 29 15:37:46 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou writes:
 > Lennart Regebro <regebro <at> gmail.com> writes:
 > >
 > > The people who use pythonlibraries are programmers. It can be expected
 > > that they are comfortable with the command line.
 >
 > You probably haven't met lots of Windows (so-called) programmers...

Hey, the "(so-called)" should be avoided.  You'll lose your audience.

And it has very little to do with the issue at hand.  It's certainly
true that a lot of code is produced by people working in the Windows
environment who are somewhere between uncomfortable and totally at a
loss when faced with a shell prompt.  Whether they're "real"
programmers or "so-called" programmers, we believe that Python will
help them produce the best programs they're capable of, no?  Better
programs are a good thing, yes?  So they should (FSVO "should" not
necessarily implying Python-Dev should do something about it) have a
programming environment that enables their style of work.