[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 01:01:21 CET 2009

2009/3/25 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> I'm not a Windows user, but I suppose it boils down to whether people are
> comfortable with the command-line or not (which even many Windows /developers/
> aren't). Since having GUIs for everything is part of the Windows philosophy,
> it's a fair expectation that Python libraries come with graphical Windows
> installers.

The people who use pythonlibraries are programmers. It can be expected
that they are comfortable with the command line. If not, somebody can
write a GUI for easy_install/pip interfacing to pypi.

Applications are expected to have a graphical installer, so a
gui-version of zc.buildout then? (I'm only half serious).

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/