[Python-Dev] version compare function into main lib

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 27 20:49:51 CET 2009

> I got the impression that people are generally happy with what
> setuptools provides for version parsing and comparison.
>
> Does anyone think that's not a good model?

Procedurally, I think it's a very bad approach. I don't mind
the setuptools implementation being used as a basis (assuming
it gets contributed), but *independently* I think a specfication
is needed what version strings it actually understands. Such
specification must precede the actual implementation (in distutils).

Regards,
Martin