[Python-Dev] version compare function into main lib

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Fri Mar 27 11:57:00 CET 2009

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> Correct me if I wrong, but shouldn't Python include function for
> version comparisons?

<snip>

> What do you think about adding cmpversions(first, second,
> strict=false) based on distutils into main lib?

distutils _is_ already in the "main lib", that is, the standard library.

> Will it be more appropriate to isolate the function into "versions" module?
> Should it be rewritten to remove re dependency in this case?

Given that re is also in the standard library, and this is hardly speed
critical, I'd say no.

> Distutils version comparisons:
> http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release26-maint/Lib/distutils/version.py?view=markup

I don't see the point of moving this, unless it's part of some larger,
radical "fix distutils" effort. And even then I'm not convinced.

This probably belongs on the python-ideas mailing list, or on the
distutils SIG list. I expect you'll see a lot of discussion on distutils
SIG list in the coming days.

Eric.