[Python-Dev] Adding PEP consistent aliases for names that don't currently conform

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:24:23 CET 2009

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> I think the main thing that may be putting me off is the amount of
>> energy that went into deciding whether or not to emit Py3k warnings or
>> DeprecationWarning or PendingDeprecationWarning for use of the old
>> threading API.
>
> Having made that decision, though, couldn't the result
> just be re-used for any future renaming exercises of
> this kind?

Maybe - the problem with taking that decision and trying to get a
general rule out of it is that there were plenty of reasonable arguments
on all sides (there were more than just 2 options, which made the choice
all the more challenging). It wouldn't take many changes in the
specifics of a situation for the "best" answer to be different from what
we ended up doing in the threading case. The precedent would add weight
to the idea of doing the same thing again, but I don't think it would be
enough on its own to completely decide the matter.

So the only general rule I really got out of that experience was
actually "let's not do this again if we can possibly avoid it" :)

Cheers,
Nick.