[Python-Dev] tracker status options

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 15:19:58 CET 2009

Daniel (ajax) Diniz wrote:
> I feel we should make the tracker more useful for core developers,
> volunteers and end-users. I also think having a clear workflow helps a
> lot. Yet, I'd rather have a tracker that allowed users with different
> interpretations to work as they feel most comfortable than one that
> requires a change of assumptions.

One other thing to keep in mind (and something I try to do myself) is to
 include a comment saying *why* a particular status change was made.
Yes, that doesn't help all that much when people are searching for
issues at various stages, but it definitely helps:

a) anyone on the nosy list (since the comment and the field changes will
typically either arrive in the same email or at least close together in
time)
b) anyone reading the issue later (as they will see more than just a
series of status changes at the bottom of the issue page)

If it's a matter of the triage folks wanting to be able to mark
particular kinds of issues to make them easier to find or avoid later,
then keywords may be a better option than messing with the stages.

Heck, you could even go for the internet UI du jour and allow free form
tags rather than being restricted to just the preset list of keywords -
the free form tags would be a little more experimental, with the more
useful ones eventually making their way to the list of properly defined
keywords. The less useful ones could fall into natural disuse without
cluttering up the main keyword selection UI.

Cheers,
Nick.