[Python-Dev] Non-Core project: IDLE

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 03:11:54 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Mark Summerfield <list at qtrac.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2009-03-23, Guilherme Polo wrote:

>> > If I could, I would, and would have said so.  But I have only read about
>> > tk and have not actually used it.  If I did decide to dive into it, you'd
>> > be mentoring me ;-).  What I can and would do is give ideas for changes,
>> > read and comment on a proposal, and user test patched versions.
>>
>> That is very nice Terry. Do you have some specific ideas that you want
>> to share publicly (or in private) about IDLE ? Your expectations about
>> what should be addressed first, or areas that should be improved.. you
>> know, anything.
>
> I have one suggestion that I think might be widely appreciated:
>
> Add somewhere in the configuration dialog when users can enter a block
> of Python code to be executed at startup and whenever Restart Shell is
> executed.
>
> Use case: for people who use IDLE for calculations/experiments they
> might like to always have certain module imported. For me personally, it
> would be:
>
>    import os
>    import re
>    import sys
>    from math import *
>
> but of course the whole point is that people can write any code they
> like. (Some people might want to do various from __future__ imports in
> Python 2.6 to get various Python 3 features for example.)
>
> I know that you can use the -c option, but that only works at startup,
> not every time you Restart Shell.

Looks like a good suggestion to me, Mark.
I would recommend adding it as a feature request on the typical place
(bugs.python.org) because although I could just go and do it, I
believe you are aware that new features in IDLE are subject to
approval or disapproval by other members involved with IDLE. Hope you
understand my position.

> [snip]
>
> --
> Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
>    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy
>        "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt" - ISBN 0132354187

Regards,

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves