[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Mar 24 16:19:56 CET 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 at 07:59, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> 3) Over time, bundled libraries tend to become forked versions.  And
> worse, privately forked versions.  If three python apps all use slightly
> different older versions of libfoo-python and have backported fixes,
> added new features, etc it is a nightmare for a system administrator or
> packager to get them running with a single version from the system
> library or forward port them.  And because they're private forks the
> developers lose out on collaborating on security, bugfixes, etc because
> they are doing their work in isolation from the other forks.

This is one of the things that I really disliked about Java when I
had to work with it:  the culture there is that you ship a zip bundle
that has all the libraries in it, at some unknown version or another.
I fortunately did not run into any of those security or version-drift/bug
issues in the relatively short time I worked with it, but I could feel
those issues looming in the background and it made my skin crawl :(

I'm very happy that Gentoo keeps the libraries separate when it packages
Java applications.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com